Find A Home
Glendora Community Information
Glendora is located in Los Angeles County approximately 23 miles east of Downtown Los Angeles. According to the 2010 census Glendora’s population is 50,073.
In 1837 a land grant was given to Don Palomares by Governor Juan Bautista Alvarado. The land that included what is now Glendora was called Rancho San Jose. In the early 1880’s, George Whitcomb, who was the founder of Whitcomb Locomotive Works moved to California from Illinois. Whitcomb founded Glendora on April 1st 1887. Whitcomb came up with the name of Glendora by combining the name of his wife, Leadora Bennett Whitcomb, with the location of his home in a glen of the San Gabriel Mountains.
Glendora was incorporated in 1911. Prior to the late 1950’s Glendora was mainly a citrus fruit growing area that included one of the biggest citrus packing facilities in the world. President William Howard Taft received a monthly shipment of citrus fruits from the city of Glendora.
Glendora is known as the “Pride of the Foothills”. Glendora is well known for its excellent schools and low crime rate. With its quiet tree lined streets and its quaint Downtown village shops, Glendora is a wonderful place to call home.